The benefits of journaling

I learned a very valuable lesson today. Journaling has more benefits than I thought!

Today, I went to my first nurse interview. I got help from my mom since she sent a referral for me. I don't know if I could have gotten this opportunity to interview without her. Thanks mom! 💖💖💖

The first few questions of the interview were pretty easy because they were common questions like:
  • Why do you want to work here?
  • Tell me about yourself
  • Where did you have your clinicals?
Easy peasy.

The second part of the interview consisted of the harder questions and the interviewers told me so. Yippee! I'm so happy I'm aware of the difficult questions to come! Thanks!!! 😀 *That was sarcasm btw*

Most of the questions were about my clinical experiences and what I did in certain situations. This part was difficult for me not necessarily because of the questions, but because I had to recall clinical experiences that I barely remembered. The entire time I was thinking, "OMG, how am I gonna bullsh*t an answer if I don't have an experience I can think of? What will happen if I can't answer this question and have a long, awkward pause?!!"

Which now brings me to my main point. Journaling.

Journaling saved my ass in this situation because I was able to pull some good experiences from the short summaries I wrote during my clinical at a rehabilitation hospital.

I remember them asking me a question about a time when I had a patient in pain with an underlying condition. Somehow, I had the perfect answer to this question and I'm sure I aced it. Why did I have the perfect answer? Because I had journaled this significant experience.

I think that journaling not only helps a person reflect and make goals to improve, but they also reinforce the memory of a situation. This is particularly useful if a person needs to recall certain information like during an interview or if they're teaching someone and trying to give an example.

This piece of information can apply to all occupations, not just nursing. One of the best ways to prepare for future interviews is to journal significant work experiences throughout your career. This way, you'll have great answers for many types of interview questions.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anime Food!: Brock's Cream Stew

Why does Lightning look so different in FFXIII Lightning Returns? [SPOILERS-!]

I dyed my hurr!: Kao Liese Bubble Hair Color, Milk Tea Brown