Movies: March 2009

This month, I've seen Coraline, Confessions of a Shopaholic, The Reader, and Into the Wild.

Coraline is probably one of the best I've seen out of all of these but that's my personal bias since I love animated things. The animation is stop motion so it must have taken some time to get all the scenes right. It makes me appreciate all the work and detail the animators put into this film.

The story is quite dark. Some people might initially compare it with Tim Burton's work but the feel is very different when you watch it, especially after you hear the music. It's interesting because the music has a very lovely, lighthearted, wispy touch yet the underlying story and meaning is so sinister. I think it's this contrast that makes the movie so memorable and fun to watch.


The Reader was an intense movie and a must see if you like deep movies that make you think. I recall Kate Winslet won an academy award for that movie and she rightfully deserves it.

I wouldn't recommend the Confessions of a Shopaholic. I know a lot of people will probably say, "Oh, that was such a CUTE movie!" but although it is, its kind of stupid. And the main character is stupid and the movie doesn't go anywhere until the very, very end. I was waiting throughout the movie for something interesting to happen and it never really did. So yes, blah movie to me. I was expecting something at least funny.

I watched Into the Wild just last night and it was an.... enlightening movie. It's about this guy that gives up his material life to live out in the wild and he travels from New Virginia to Alaska.
It wasn't as deep as similar themed movies but not bad in general. I'd give it maybe a 7 or 8/10. To give an idea, I liked Cast Away a lot better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does Lightning look so different in FFXIII Lightning Returns? [SPOILERS-!]

Anime Food!: Brock's Cream Stew

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 1 & 2