The Heirs: I finally get to see Lee Min Ho in a 'rich-boy poor-girl' drama AGAIN! xD


Release date: October, 2013
Director: Kang Shin Hyo
Writer: Kim Eun Sook
Actors: Lee Min Ho, Park Shin Hye, Yoon Jin Seo
Episodes: 20
Genre: Romance, Chaebol

The excitement of the great Lee Min Ho starring in a chaebol drama reached my ears soon after it was released.

This drama gets off to a good start.  Fated soul mates meet in the foreign and exotic land of Orange County and go through various escapades together and eventually fall in love.  Only later do they meet up again in Korea and realize their vast social class differences.. Yet fate has it that they're living under the same roof!  Cohabitation drama it is! 


I'm not a big fan of the first few episodes taking place in Cali (as novel as it may seem) with all the stereotypical 'white people' of America but what can you do...  Koreans going to school in America has been a long-standing, strange rite of passage that's slightly difficult for me to understand.

At least the American setting serves as good humor.  It's funny to see the Korean's view of a stereotypical Californian American.  Apparently in their eyes, most white people are blonde and blue-eyed, beach girls have perfectly toned bodies, and the surfer dudes are unintelligent potheads.  Well, at least they got one part right with the two obese Americans huffing and puffing while chasing the couple down the street.  They hit that nail on the head.  lol

 "I'm a sad, handsome, rich boy....  Feel my emo..."

Lee Min Ho appears as another troubled rich guy.  W-wait!  No, not the Goo Jun Pyo kind of rich guy but a NEW and improved rich guy, with more poise and a better hairstyle!


 Now this guy, he's the more 'Goo Jun Pyo' kind of character, albeit a bit meaner.  Is that even possible?

I'm quite interested in this new mean rich boy, Choi Young Do, played by Kim Woo Bin.  There always has to be at least one of these archetypes in chaebol dramas.  XD  But I don't blame them.  The 'bad boys' always add that necessary spice to dramas.

Despite all the stereotypical characters in this chaebol drama, I'm still excited to see how they all play out.  The characters still seem somewhat unique to me, even though it's an age-old formula.  This drama has a slightly more mature feel compared to Boys Over Flowers.

 "Love me..."

Prepare yourself for watching many of Lee Min Ho's brooding scenes like the one above for the first few...... errr..  many episodes to come. ;D

Regardless of how my tone sounds, I'm really enjoying this drama, especially now that I've caught up to the part where there all safely back in Korea.  ^^  I'm so glad I'm past the 'Cali adventure'.  In all honesty, all the acting that was done in English was waaay too forced and overplayed.  My eyes and ears were burning from the terrible acting.  I wonder if native Koreans were aware of the cheesy scenes in English...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does Lightning look so different in FFXIII Lightning Returns? [SPOILERS-!]

Anime Food!: Brock's Cream Stew

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 1 & 2