My Singapore Travel Story

My bad, I went on yet another month hiatus...

Right now, it's raining and very cozy in the house. (^w^) My babycakes is scared of rainy weather, stemmed from her fear of thunder so she's leaning her whole weight against my leg under my desk. Kawaisoooo..

To catch up from what happened this whole time, I got back from my trip to Singapore before the last week of June. It was so hot there, I'd honestly describe the heat as being around 100 times more intense than Hawaii. We sweat a LOT during our trip and the night didn't give us any mercy either. Thank heaven's we had AC in the hotel.

Here's the area where we stayed. It looks reminiscent of the Chinatowns in America. Honestly, it was safer than it looks.

The teeny tiny bathroom, lol.

First time in my life I've ever had this kind of bathing experience...

The place we stayed at wasn't exactly the highest rated, lol. Very interesting experience to have the sink, toilet, and shower (if you can call it that) all fitting into a very small area without any tub for the bath. At first, it was quite the shock but after a while, we really didn't care, as long as we could wash off at the end of the day. We would get that sweaty and gross. (-___-)

It was cool though to experience a different country's culture and people. There were a lot of Chinese and Indian people living there. Singapore is a micro-nation so we could probably travel around that whole island within an hour by car, tho we didn't rent a car. Everyone speaks English there so it was easy to get around without the language barrier. They have a great subway system which is how we got around.

The food in Singapore seemed to consist of a lot of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Indian food. There were some western food areas in their gigantic malls. You find a lot of places called "Hawker Centres" where there are lots of food shops lined up and in the middle, a large seating area. We saw many of these in the malls. All of the food is of great quality and inexpensive. Their portions are small so of course, most of the people are skinny.

Food center in the basement of one of the mega malls. I'm not really sure if this kind of area is considered a hawker center.

This one seemed to fit the hawker center atmosphere more since it was outdoors. Okay, just to take note, I'm gonna seriously be food spamming after this picture, didn't take all those pics for nothin'! (*_*) FOOD SPAM... BEGIN!


First stuff we ate in Singapore. It was so good that I ate it all before I could take the pic! lolz I believe it was fish ball noodle soup. Yummm


LOL, fork about to attack food.




Fancy Desserts <3






The stone pot bibimbap always bakes the rice on the bottom so it's all crunchy.... which is why I prefer my bibimbap in a simple bowl. I'm not a fan of crunchy rice. D:


We had a lot of these tempura bentos (^o^).



All the food in Singapore is soooo goooooooooooood!!! I miss the food already.


Watermelon Tango

And Mango Tango. These are super yummy. Must have in Singapore if you pass by a Rockery.



Egg noodle.
Da best chicken and rice I ever had. ;)

These boba weren't from Singapore but they are SO good and it was on the way.. We stopped in Seattle at Oasis (BEST boba AKA bubble tea) before heading off on our flight to Narita. It took about 3 flights. (@_@)






This mango ice wasn't all that great but still okay. This was one of those foods that looked a lot prettier in the picture. It's good we didn't come across to many of these kinds of things.


Now onto the MALLS !

Singapore has a ton of malls that are maybe 6-8 stories high including 1-2 basement levels. All these malls are air conditioned so it gives so much relief to the vicious humidity and heat outside. You can seriously get dehydrated by all the sweating you do while walking around.
With so many malls, you can probably buy anything you want too. I only wonder where these Singaporeans put all their stuff as the majority of the population resides in apartments. We took the train out to the north side of the island and it's amazing how many of these 50-something-story apartment buildings tower over what looks like cleared out rain forest areas.





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To wrap it all up, Singapore is a beautiful island country omit the intense heat and humidity. It seems like the people have a strong shopping culture with so many malls and places to eat food. I had fun visiting Singapore as the people there are nice and friendly and it was cool being almost halfway around the world and experiencing at least a piece of these people's lives.

The only thing that confused me was with all the Japanese and Korean influence, what exactly was the culture of Singapore? I was a little baffled by that because there's obviously Chinese and Indian people who may have followed Buddhism or Hinduism or some other religion but the 'culture' of Singapore is what I didn't quite grasp. For example, Japanese, American, and Korean people obviously have their own culture but what is the culture of Singapore? I did more research and found that Singapore is known as a melting pot of many different cultures with the Malay culture serving as a sort of anchor for everything else.

All of this makes me think about the American culture because America contains so many mixed ethnicity's of people. I actually don't know about WTH American culture IS aside from being fat bastards who waste and use up too many resources. D:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anime Food!: Brock's Cream Stew

Why does Lightning look so different in FFXIII Lightning Returns? [SPOILERS-!]

I dyed my hurr!: Kao Liese Bubble Hair Color, Milk Tea Brown