Watched 'Wolf Children' last night

The full title is おおかみこどもの雨と雪 (Ookami kodomo no Ame to Yuki) "Wolf Children Ame and Yuki."


I thought it was good but I wasn't that impressed.  But I may have ruined the suspense for myself since I read the movie synopsis before watching it. xP

This is a movie that centers around motherhood.  I thought the theme was quite obvious.  I was a bit put off by how a lot of the side characters were only plot devices.  They only seemed to appear when the story needed to move forward and I felt a lack of connection to them.  I know they're side characters but still, side characters are important too!  This movie could take some tips from Miyazaki-san.  Side characters in his movies always have important roles in the story and are memorable.  They don't just show up when the plot needs them to move forward. 

The dad turned out to be a lot more dull than I expected.  I wish the story did more with his character, even if it was with flashbacks or something.

This movie did make me think about it for a while after watching; I'll give it that.  I was asking questions like, "how exactly did the dad die?" and "why was Ame's departure was so lacking in emotional impact?"

I rate this around 3 to 4 out of 5.

Comments

Dewi ♥ said…
I want to see this movie :) I heard about it last year. (saw some photos in a manga expo)
lovepirate said…
Never heard about that movie before but it seems kinda cute from what I just read about it on wikipedia. xD Maybe I'll watch it.

Popular posts from this blog

Why does Lightning look so different in FFXIII Lightning Returns? [SPOILERS-!]

Anime Food!: Brock's Cream Stew

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 1 & 2