Sick dog...

Hello again.  These past few weeks, the weather has been relentlessly cold and along with the bad weather came bad news for my dog.


She got sick this past Friday, throwing up throughout the morning and not eating.  We took her to the vet and got the news about her pancreatitis.  They also mentioned issues about her heart murmur and possible kidney issues but she's old, 14-years-old to be exact, and that kind of news doesn't shock me...  I just felt bad for her because the vet told us that pancreatitis can be very painful for a dog.  Anyway, she got prescribed pain, nausea, and antibiotic medications and we took her home.  They told us the only thing we could do was to make sure she didn't eat anything for 48 hours and after that, see if her symptoms improve.

It's been about 4 days and we've been giving her water through a syringe because she eventually refused most of the water we offered her.  She hasn't eaten at all since her diagnosis.  It's so strange not seeing her eat because she's usually so crazy over food.

I've been reading up on pancreatitis and most of the forums say that it really just takes supportive care and eventually, the pancreas should settle down.  The thing that worries me is her loss of appetite.  Luckily, I found a site that talks about what to do with an anorexic (without appetite) dog.  I know it's not a cure or anything but it gives me some hope.  I really don't want to watch my dog waste away to skin and bones if I can help it.

That said, I'm not sure how often I'll be writing on my blog for the time being.  My mind is so occupied with my dog that it's hard for me to think of much else, even Christmas.

Anyway, you all have a wonderful Christmas and I'll be doing my best supporting my dog.  :)

Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does Lightning look so different in FFXIII Lightning Returns? [SPOILERS-!]

Anime Food!: Brock's Cream Stew

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 1 & 2